Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bread & Butter Pudding with L.O.V.E

New year's resolution to update blog promptly.  Oklah slightly late... hee hee ... I made this last saturday.
I will try to update one a week lah eh if I'm free. Umi ask for bread & butter pudding a few weeks back so I gave her.  I realised that I've not been baking for a super long time.

Since she (my cousin and my niece) visited ibu last sat I decided to surprise her. I took the recipe from Livin' In The Kitchen. The recipes here are all mouth watering ... my gawd!!! I wish I can try everything in there ... but .... I have to be focus ... one at a time.

So here we go Bread & Butter Pudding with Vanilla Sauce. I did the Vanilla Sauce first cos I chill it before serving.



Bread and Butter Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

Recipe from “Lenôtre’s Desserts and Pastries”
7 ounces fresh sandwich bread, uncut
Butter for bread
2 cups, (generous, 1/2 1) milk
1 vanilla bean (I used vanilla bean paste)
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup, generous (125 grams) granulated sugar

Optional
1 cup of sliced almond
1 cup of chocolate chips


Remove the crust from bread and slice very thin (set crust aside)
Lightly butter the slices, cut them in half, corner-to-corner so that they are now 2 triangles.
Brown the buttered side of the bread under the broiler for 3 minutes, cover oval baking pan with bread, toasted side up in overlapping pieces.
Sprinkle sliced almonds and chocolate chip.
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Boil milk with vanilla bean. Beat the eggs and the egg yolks with the sugar for a few minutes, until mix whitens. Slowly pour hot milk (not boiling) into egg mix while stirring.


Pour the combined mixtures over the bread while pressing down bread that floats with a spoon.
Place the Bread Pudding into a larger dish. Pour boiling water in the larger dish until it reaches half way up the sides of the smaller dish.
Bake 30 minutes, continue to press down bread when it rises to the surface in oven. When baked, allow to cool then place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make Vanilla Sauce (can be served without).


Vanilla Sauce
1 cup (1/4 1) milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Place milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and let the vanilla bean infuse for 10 minutes.
Beat egg yolks and sugar on medium speed until the mixture whitens. While beating, add milk to yolks. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly. When liquid coats spatula, remove the saucepan immediately and place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Remove the vanilla bean.
Cool mixture in bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Whip sauce occasionally while cooling.
Once cooled, pour over your Bread and Butter Pudding and return to the refrigerator,
Wa-La!

No comments: