I baked this over the weekend. Recipe taken from Saji magazine.
Recipe from magazine
200g castor sugar (what I had left lol)
240g plain flour
125ml corn oil
7 eggs (separate the white and yellow)
1 tsp pandan essence (I don't have pandan leave lying around the house)
3tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease the cake pan with butter
- Use a large clean bowl, making sure there’s no water or oil in it. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Add the cream of tartar. After mixing well, add the 1/2 of sugar in three batches, about one-third at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the egg yolks with a balloon whisk and mix in 1/2 of sugar and add a few drops of pandan essence
- Sift in cake flour and baking powder in three batches into the egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Lastly, add corn oil. Set aside.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and fold into the egg mixture. Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour into the cake pan and bake in preheated oven for about 45 - 55 minutes. A needle comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove cake from the oven. invert the pan immediately. Allow it to cool completely.