Monday, December 19, 2011

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes 
(with Reese’s PB Cup Center)

*Photos has been deleted


A wet wet Monday. Its been raining since morning ... my laundry is piling up ... sigh .. since I cant do my laundry I decided to bake.  Oyin came over ... nope not to help out but it been awhile since we last have our siblings bonding time.


He came at abt 1pm ... I waited for him cos I asked him to get me butter ... forgetful me forgotten to buy butter for baking.  Hubby was busy revising for his last paper today. So Oyin and me do our baking ... after that we went Chinatown, Lomography Gallery Singapore.  Oyin wanted to pick up a new hobby.  The SM was quite busy so we didnt want to disturb him after that we went Plaza Singapura.  


We went Pastamania for fuel ahahha since I did not cook =D ... After that got our tickets to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 ... it was fun ... 


and after that we call it a day lar ... exhausting abis.


Below is the recipe for the cuppies.  This is my 2nd attempt ... I love this recipe very easy and fast too ...


Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated


Makes approx 12 (I got 15 out of it with plenty of batter left on the sides of the bowl for me to enjoy. What?)Ilah: I got 16 cuppies maybe my cups are slightly smaller.


Ingredients


114g 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
60g (hershey semi-sweet) 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Ghiradelli)
60g (hershey cocoa powder) 1/2 cup (1.5 oz) Dutch processed cocoa (or regular if that’s what you’ve got handy)
85g (All-purpose IS plain flour) 3/4 cup (3.75 oz) All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
170g 3/4 cup (5.25 oz) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
118ml 1/2 cup (4 oz) sour cream (you could use reduced fat, but really…why bother)
12-15 mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Directions


Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line tin with cupcake liners. 

Combine butter, chopped chocolate and cocoa in a small bowl. Microwave 30 seconds then stir. Microwave at 15 second intervals until smooth. (It only took me the first 30 seconds plus 15 more before it was smooth and glossy.) Don’t overheat! Alternately, you can get fancy and use a double boiler, or a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. I use the dbl boiler method.

Cool until barely warm.

In small bowl, combine flour, soda and powder.

In a medium-ish bowl, beat the eggs then whisk in the sugar and salt. Add the cooled chocolate mix, beating until smooth and well combined. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Whisk until fully combined. Add sour cream, mixing well, then add remaining flour mixture, whisking till flour is fully incorporated and batter is thick.

Scoop batter into lined tins using you preferred method—spoon, ice cream scoop, measuring cup. Place a mini Reese’s cup in the center of each cake. Press into the batter until nearly level with the top.

Bake 15-20 minutes (original recipe said 18-20 but mine were most definitely done at 15 minutes). Check doneness with toothpick. If it comes out clean, you’re good. Mine was 20mins.

Cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then move to a wire rack to cool thoroughly before frosting.


Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting


Adapted from browneyedbaker.com


Easily covers 18 cupcakes, and that’s if you have a heavy hand.



Ingredients

200g or 3 big spoonful 1 cup creamy peanut butter
75g 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
220g 2 cups powdered sugar
1 small pkt 1/2 - 2/3 cup whipping cream (heavy cream) adjust as necessary - add more if it looks like it needs it. Go wild.

Directions


Beat peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar until thoroughly combined. Add cream and beat until light and fluffy. Give it a few minutes to get nice and pale and lovely. Lick the beaters. No, really. Do it. It’ll make you feel like a kid again. (I did not do this eh ... fasting tao )

Spread onto cooled cupcakes or pipe with your preferred decorating tip.

No comments: